During the Covid-19 times, consumers had a very unfortunate experience when retailers had to close. As countries went into lock-down which impacted shopping lovers as well as businesses who relied on in-store shopping only.
Pinterest is taking steps to make it easier for businesses of all sizes to be able to advertise for performance. Retailers can get back to business with a pure online new experience. As 97% of top searches on Pinterest are unbranded which means people are unlike a regular search engine not looking for a very specific product. But rather in an inspirational mood which makes it a great opportunity for businesses of any size to reach & impress customers. Source
Also, users on Pinterest are going to have an in-store-like experience. Where they can visually shop and see multiple products from different sellers. Pinterest is focusing more on e-commerce by upgrading existing features. And introducing a new shopping tab throughout the platform. Now you can shop from pins, on pin-boards, and in search results.
Users will see a new “Shop” tab in several places as below
I. On own boards: For example, users now can visit their fashion or home décor products boards. Click on the Shop tab, and browse through a selection of products featured on the board. There are two important things to note here. This feature is compatible with fashion and home decor products. Pinterest already mentioned that they will only display in-stock products.
II. Within the search result page: A new ‘Shop’ tab will appear on Pinterest’s search results page. Where users will be able to shop in-stock products just by searching for generic keywords. Just like Google Ads Search campaigns but Pinterest will let users filter search results by brand or sort by price.
III. Shop From Pins: Pinterest’s visual search feature lets users look for products by uploading an image or taking a picture then Pinterest does some magic and shows you a bunch of results but now, users will be able to see a new option to “shop similar.” This new “shop similar” option will show related in-stock products for fashion and home decor items.
With these upgrades and new features, Pinterest is defining itself as the social network for shopping, and eCommerce businesses – a place where users can visually shop and where businesses can take their retail experience online.
How to list and promote your products with Pinterest Ads?
Get in touch – we have boosted several clients to become multi-million dollar businesses and can certainly scale your growth as well. But as a general idea here is our guide on how to get started with Promoted Shop Pins.
1. Add a meta tag to your site: the meta tag is important to unlock Pinterest Catalogs, get credit for items you sell, and create product Pins.
2. Create a data source/feed: this will include all your products, prices… Think of it as the Google Feed you create to be able to use shopping ads.
3. Now is the interesting part: you will have to create campaigns based on your strategy and segmentation of products with the right keywords which can be challenging work on the Pinterest ads dashboard.
Data was the key to tracking users all over the web to have as many signals about user’s behavior as possible then using these signals to serve highly personalized ads that maximize the ad performance and this was the strategy followed by most if not all social media platforms & advertisers.
However, with the new web & app privacy changes introduced by Apple & Google, tracking users will be done in a different way. Read the SKAN report here.
Additionally, advertisers will think of decreasing their Social Media Ad Spend because of the fear of decreased performance. Especially for small size, niche eCommerce brands who are in need of tracking to reach only their consumers and can’t afford the new normal.
Pinterest can take advantage of these privacy changes as web advertisers will be moving towards more contextual advertising which means targeting users based on the content of the page they view rather than targeting them based on their behavior and by being a visual social media platform that provides advertisers with Google search like advertising features, Pinterest will be one of the main channels for advertisers to move forward with contextual advertising.
We came up with these conclusions based on several factors as below
- Searches for shopping inspiration are on the rise lately.
- The searches for “help small businesses” are up three times compared to past months.
- Searches for “home office setup” are up by 70%.
- There’s been a 4x increase in searches for “employee gifts” over the past weeks.
- Searches for “care package ideas” have doubled.
While these are good reasons but let’s look at Pinterest shopping statistics
- The number of shoppable product pins on Pinterest is up to 2.5x since last year, which drove 2.3x more traffic to retailers.
- The number of users engaging with shopping on Pinterest is up 44% over last year.
- On average, Pinterest users spend 1.6x more than people who don’t use Pinterest.
- Over 80% of Pinterest users have purchased something shown in pins from brands.
- Users are 3x more likely to visit a retailer’s site after discovering them on Pinterest compared to other social networks.
We are moving towards a new era of shopping social media platforms and with the privacy limitations, it’s much likely that this will happen faster but with a slight change to contextual shopping social media platforms.
Get in touch to learn more about Pinterest Ads and how we can help you super grow your revenue with shopping Ads.